Skip to main content

Hatred of furries

Some people have hobbies that most other people may find strange and sometimes even off-putting. Sometimes it's just something that they might find completely ridiculous or even cringeworthy. The normal reasonable response that they can give to those hobbies is a simple "no thanks, I'm not interested", and let them be. As long as they aren't hurting anybody, they can do whatever they want. What they do among themselves, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, is their business, and they can be left alone. Who cares?

But sometimes the aversion towards a particular hobby goes to absolutely insane levels. It goes beyond "I'm not interested, it's not for me". It goes even beyond "they are crazy, I can't understand how can they do it, or why". It goes to total, absolute, pure unadultered hatred.

For example, I have an acquaintance who absolutely loathes furries. It almost feels like an obsession for him to hate them. Sometimes he will just suddenly, out of the blue, during a conversation that had nothing to do with furries or anything like that, using the most tenuous segues possible, suddenly express is absolute hatred of furries. He will say things like he'd rather go unemployed and end his career rather than do anything even remotely related to furries. He speaks like furries murdered his parents or something. (Granted, I'm not 100% sure that he's being completely serious, but it seems to me that he is.) Given how many times he has done this, and how unprompted it always is, it feels like an obsession. I have never asked him why he loathes furries so much (because the situation has never been such that I had a good opportunity to ask), but there's just a deep-rooted absolute hatred there.

I have never seen him show such an attitude towards any other hobby, or any other group of people. Only furries. That's it.

He is not the only one. Hatred of furries seems rather prevalent. And not only just mockery and making fun of them. I mean pure hatred.

I really can't understand what is it with furries in particular that triggers such an irrational hatred in some people. While furries are not the only hobby that causes a similar reaction, it seems relatively rare. I don't think even bronies receive as much pure unadultered hatred as furries do (although bronies too experience quite a lot of it.)

My own stance is rather simple, and I already stated it: Live and let live. As long as they aren't hurting anybody, they can do whatever they want. It's a hobby. It's a community. It's a subculture. Why should I care about what they do or don't do? They can do whatever they want. I have zero problems with that. And I oppose on principle anybody who shows such irrational hatred of them, or anybody else. You are not the arbiter of what other should or shouldn't do. Mind your own business. Fuck off. Hatred has never achieved anything good in this world.

Comments