Skip to main content

Re: 24 Questions Black People Have For White People

There is a video making the rounds because of the astonishingly stereotyping, and sometimes even nonsensical, questions being presented: BuzzFeed's "24 Questions Black People Have For White People". It has gained some notoriety due to how obnoxious and nonsensical it is.

But, I'm a white person, so I suppose these questions are directed to me. So I'll answer:

#1: "Why do you always make such horrible decisions in horror movies? It's not cool to split up."

WTF? I'm not in a horror movie. And what exactly does this have to do with me being white? This question is absolutely nonsensical.

As for fictional characters in horror movies making dumb decisions, it's because of the script. The scriptwriter decided to write them like that. Usually to cause conflict, tension and drama.

But what exactly does this have to do with being white? Are you saying that no black fictional character has ever made any "horrible decision" in a horror movie? I don't get it.

#2: "Why do you freak out when black people are cast to play white fictional characters."

I could throw the same question right back: Why do you freak out if white people are cast to play black fictional characters?

Accuracy is valued. I don't "freak out" if a black person is cast to play a white character any more than I "freak out" if it's the reverse. If the fictional character is famous and established, changing it to something completely different is bothering, especially to fans and purists.

However, the bigger cause for the dislike of this kind of casting is that it's often done for political reasons, to try to send some kind of political message to the viewers, to shove such a message down their throats whether they like it or not. And that is something worthy of opposition. We are not morons. We do not need to be told what we should or shouldn't think or like.

#3: "Why is a big butt and big lips considered attractive on a white woman, but they are unattractive on a black woman?"

I have never heard or seen this kind of attitude anywhere, by anybody, during my entire life. This is honestly and literally the first time in my life I hear this idea.

As for me personally, I'm not especially attracted by big lips or butts, regardless of skin tone. Anyway, I have no idea what you are talking about with that question.

#4: "Do you really think Miley is the one who invented twerking?"

No. Why?

#5: "Why am I supposed to teach you to twerk? I don't know how to twerk."

What? What are you talking about?

#6: "Why is it that white people always act like they have discovered a new trend when people of color have already been doing it for virtually years?"

I don't do that.

As for other people, who is doing that? And why does it matter? Who cares?

#7: "Why is it that when a black woman wears her hair naturally it's seen as inappropriate, but when a white woman does, it's praised?"

Same answer as to question #3.

You can have your hair however you want. Why should I care? Shave it off if you want, or use a mohawk. You are free to do with your hair whatever you want.

#8: "This is the hair I was born with, so you wearing it as a trend is not cute."

That's not a question. That's being a dick. People have the right to use whatever hairdo they want. You don't own hairdos. If you don't like other people looking like you, then it's your bad. Grow up.

#9: "Like, can you appropriate my student loans? Can you take that off my hands?"

That doesn't make any kind of sense.

The whole concept of "appropriation" is completely racist. You do not own something just because of your skin color. You do not have rights to something just because of your skin color. Claiming rights to something you didn't invent just because of your race, or shaming other people for doing something because of their race, is obnoxious racism.

If we are going the route of "you can't use something invented by people of my race", then you have to stop using cars, computers, and so on. (What? It doesn't work that way? Well, duh. It doesn't matter what the skin color of somebody who invented something was. That's completely inconsequential. Stop being such a racist.)

But even ignoring that, even if I for a moment accepted the notion of "cultural appropriation", the question still makes no sense.

#10: "Why is it that white crime is seen as an isolated incident, but black crime is a representation of my entire community?"

No it isn't. I don't care what the skin color of a criminal is. Everybody ought to be judged based on their own merit and doings.

"When we see a story on TV about a white serial killer, I don't automatically assume that all white people are serial killers too."

But you seem quite keen in assuming that all white people are racists. Hypocrite.

And who exactly thinks that if there's a story on TV about a black serial killer, all black people are serial killers?

#11: "Why does talking about race make you so uncomfortable? Is it because you will be perceived as a racist if you talk about race?"

Yes, that's exactly the reason. At least there's something you understand.

I am being assumed a racist simply because I'm white. If I start talking about races, that will only make those assumptions stronger. Personally I don't have a problem in talking about race all day long (although, to be frank, it would be really boring), but the modern society has made it really difficult.

#12: "You don't really believe that racism is over because we have a black president?"

You are right, I don't. Are you assuming I do? Why?

#13: "Why is it so easy for you to notice when there are no white people around, but you hardly ever notice when there are no black people around?"

Because we notice unusual things. Here like 99% of people are white, and thus everybody being white is normal, and thus one gets naturally accustomed to it. It's only when the pattern is broken when our brain starts noticing that something is different. This is not restricted to white vs. black people.

#14: "Why is your goal to be color-blind?"

Because I'm not a racist, that's why. "Color-blindness" in this context means that I treat and judge people completely equally regardless of what their skin color might be. I "do not see color" when I am in a social interaction with somebody, or form an opinion on somebody. What their skin pigmentation might happen to be is completely inconsequential to this.

A great person once said: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I believe you know who this person was.

#15: "Why do you want to say the n-word so badly?"

I don't.

However, I do understand those who do. It's because most people are free-thinkers and do not like being told in an authoritarian, even totalitarian, manner what they should or shouldn't think or say. They don't like orwellian newspeak, where some words are banned and taboo. The more you tell to them that it's a bad word, the more they want to rebel against such authoritarianism. It's human nature. And I tend to agree with it. I myself don't like being told by progressives what I should or shouldn't think or say.

#16: "Why do you always want to touch our hair?"

Same answer as for #3.

Also, why would I even want to touch the hair of a stranger? That makes no sense.

#17: "Why do you feel like having one black friend makes you a cultural expert on other races?"

I don't. And I have never encountered such an attitude anywhere.

#18: "Is your only black friend comfortable being the reason why you can't be racist?"

I'm not a racist, and it has absolutely nothing to do with how many black friends I might or might not have.

"By that logic, then I'm not racist. I have a ton of white friends."

Oh, so you are admitting being racist? I just love this Freudian slip.

#19: "Why do you feel comfortable cursing at your parents?"

I don't. And WTF does this have to do with white people vs. black people? Are you saying that white people typically curse at their parents while black people don't? Are you stereotyping? (Also, I have never even heard of such a stereotype. Are you pulling it from your ass?)

#20: "Why do you kiss your dog on the mouth?"

Same answer as #19.

#21: "How come you can't pronounce black names like Quvenzhané but can say names like Schwarzenegger, Galifianakis and LaBeouf just fine?"

Because those are celebrities whose names are frequently pronounced on TV and everywhere, while that "black name" is something I have never heard before (and it took me quite some googling to find out how it's written.)

I can throw the same question back at you: Why can you pronounce those names, but can't pronounce mine? (I'm Finnish.) What? It doesn't work in this direction? Why not?

Do you see how that question is nonsensical (and has absolutely nothing to do with race)?

#22: "Why do you feel like all lion lives matter but black lives don't?"

This is actually a deeply offensive question. I value human life, all human life, over animals. If I had to choose between the life of a person and the life of a lion, I would choose the person, no questions asked, no matter who that person is.

You are not only accusing me of being racist, but moreover such an overt racist that I would consider lions' lives more valuable than black people's. My response to that is: Fuck you.

#23: "Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge your privilege?"

Ok, I acknowledge my privilege. Now what? What exactly should change about me or how I live my life?

This entire "privilege" thing is such a BS feminist buzzword. It's nothing more than a weak attempt at guilt-tripping people.

#24: "How does it feel to not be the spokesperson for your entire race at any given time?"

Say the people who are obnoxiously generalizing and stereotyping all white people, and asking them questions expecting white people to answer on behalf of all white people.

Hypocrites.

Comments