Skip to main content

Barbershop quartets

I love polyphony in music, especially in singing. For example one of the main reasons why I love the song The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel is precisely the awesome polyphonic singing.

Naturally I thus also like acapella groups and choirs, as they usually use polyphony (an example.)

It should logically follow, that I would like barbershop quartets. They are highly polished acapella groups that use polyphony to its maximum effect for singing.

But somehow, I don't. And I have no idea why. I don't mean I hate it; it's quite ok. I'm just not crazy about it. I just somehow don't dig it as much. I don't know what it is; I just can't put my finger on what the problem is, but it just doesn't work, somehow.

Perhaps the most irritating thing about this is precisely that I don't know why. My reason says that I should love it, but I just don't. What could possibly be the reason for this?

Comments